Inventions in California
The Rozsa Law Group LC provides comprehensive legal assistance to individual inventors and small businesses in Southern California and beyond to protect their intellectual property by obtaining patents, negotiating licensing and assignment agreements, and enforcing or defending infringement claims through litigation when necessary.
Intellectual property law functions both to protect inventions and the names under which the invented products and services are sold. Protecting a new utilitarian feature or design is the bailiwick of patent law, while protecting the logos, brands, and product names is the province of trademarks and service marks.
What is a Patent?
Simply put, a patent is a right conferred by the government that provides an inventor with the exclusive right to manufacture, use, or sell the patented invention for an established period of time. As the patent holder, you do not have to personally manufacture or sell the invention yourself; you may license or assign that right to other entities for profit, according to the business model most favorable to you.
How Do I Get a Patent?
Obtaining a patent is a multi-step process that involves preparing and filing an application with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). There are several steps that must be taken before filing with USPTO to make sure your invention is patentable. After you secure the patent, there are other steps you may wish to take to patent your invention in other countries under the Madrid Protocol, or to create a business to manufacture and sell your invention or license that right to others.
Our office provides comprehensive legal services to help you with every stage of the process, from the initial search and application, to obtaining the patent, forming a business or licensing your invention, and protecting your patent from infringement. Our patent law services include:
- Analysis on the patentability of new inventions
- Filing for and obtaining U.S. patents
- Filing for and obtaining patent protection in any desired foreign country or internationally under the Patent Cooperation Treaty
- Business entity formation, such as corporations, partnerships, or limited liability companies
- Drafting and reviewing business contracts for licensing or assigning a patented invention
- Preparing confidentiality agreements to protect trade secrets and proprietary information
- Studying the validity of issued patents to determine infringement
- Analysis to avoid infringement of a competitor's patent
- Litigation to enforce or defend against infringement claims
- Litigation regarding claims of unfair competition or theft of trade secrets
- Litigation of breach of contract and other business disputes regarding transactions involving intellectual property
Not Your Average Patent Attorney
Firm founder Thomas Rozsa is not your average patent attorney, and the Rozsa Law Group is not your typical intellectual property law firm. We offer more than just excellent advice and representation in the areas of securing patents and protecting them against infringement. We also have a special program designed for individuals who are unemployed to gain employment through securing patents on their inventions. In addition, we help inventors who have become stuck in the creative process to break through that roadblock through a combination of patent expertise and creative visualization techniques.
Whatever your needs in the patent field, wherever you are in the invention process, the Rozsa Law Group can provide the services you need to turn your business model into a working reality. We have obtained over 1,000 issued United States patents and many foreign patents including utility and design patents across a wide range of technical and non-technical fields. Contact the Rozsa Law Group for a free initial consultation to discuss how we can help you with your invention and patent needs.